Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight reduction from E36 doors

Hey guys,

As we all know E36 coupe & convertible does not have a glass frame & the glass seal in the roof upon closing the door!

And to reduce the weight from the doors we need to cutoff the protective bar, cutoff the extra metals, loose the door mechanism, loose the window mechanism & use light weight glass

Now…there is a light weight door & lexan glass but u still have to use the HEAVY window mechanism…plus that way is expensive as I have to import the stuff

I can’t use epoxi glass because it’s soft & I need a frame

So I’m stuck here…and ready for any good suggestions

I know Sam performance, one thousand dunes can do the glass change, I recall asking around two years ago and I was quoted 5k
    Meskovic
    this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Still trying to have at it in the vert?? :(

I'd suggest you leave your doors the way they are and get some from the scrap yard to fiddle with.....If you have plexi glass, then why would you still need the windows motor?? Pleaxi glass = goodbye ventilation! Would work if you can "make" a window frame out of aluminum to support the plexi glass. But not really feeling it....

Get a 4-door Blue and do it right!!

Comment

Get two doors from any scrap place (dont have to be in the best condition or same color) and remove everything inside.....window motor, glass, safety bar, motor supports (metal supports)....then ull have a very light doors that u can swap in before the race.....

E36 doors r really heavy and u can shave alot of weight doing that. Or u can go the MORE $ way and order two carbon fiber doors :drool:

This thread should be at the Track, Auto-X section :cid:
        sigpic
        iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
        Falcons Garage
        Carbotech

Comment

As Ayham said, you can make aluminum window frames yourself.

But, as advised by evryone else. Get a mock-up done first on doors you bought from a scrap yard. Gut them all out, and for the window mechanism. Ditch the whole thing and go with a simple pull up or down manual, but not sure if that's allowed by the rules.
          sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
          Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
          LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
          P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
          Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

again as I keep telling everyone, it really depends on what you want use the car for :

AutoX?
            Street/daily driver?
            Sprint?
            Redline?
            Drag?
            Open saloon?

Cars can be built differently depending on what you want to use it for
            Meskovic
            this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

I was quoted 5k
              :eek:Thats way too expensive by this price i can get the CF doors with Lexan glass :pimp:

Still trying to have at it in the vert??
              Get a 4-door Blue and do it right!!
              This is the card i've been played & i'm planing to play it at it best ;) , plus if i wanted to change to another car or a 4 door it obvious to tell what i would get :D

Would work if you can "make" a window frame out of aluminum to support the plexi glass
              I think u got Satwa infection from somewhere!! :p , but it might work if i found somebody who can do a very smart & quality job which obviously will be soooo expensive!!!

again as I keep telling everyone, it really depends on what you want use the car for :

AutoX? Yes
              Street/daily driver? NO
              Sprint? Yes
              Redline? Yes
              Drag? hmmmm...knockout on later stages
              Open saloon? I wish...but needs a lot of $$$

Cars can be built differently depending on what you want to use it for
              u r very right on this!! :)

Comment

but isnt AutoX and sprint for example require totally different set ups?
                Meskovic

Comment

They do require different setup, but they aint that different.....
                  The key for it, when having the full setup, is the dialing in of the suspinsion and alignment :read:

Car modefications on Blue's Vert is gr8.... H&R coilovers, Front Strut, solid subframe bushings, and always stripped out :wiggle:

There are alot of things that he still needs to do, since its a Vert, to take it to the next level.
                  and as u can see Nabil he is hard headed and wont even consider switching to other car..... It is great to see such enthusiasm.

Weam we need to set and talk. there is alot to do to your car and i can help u with couple of ideas :evil:

Ill be finishing this semester, inshalla, by the 21-may (next week) and after that ill be free.......
                  sigpic
                  iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                  Falcons Garage
                  Carbotech

Comment

Well, if you're so die hard on the vert-turned-rogue, get a Z3 with a swap and Bob's your uncle!! How's that?!

Comment

but isnt AutoX and sprint for example require totally different set ups?
                      True...but to be heavyweight fighter on any track...u gotta be lightweight ;)

Weam we need to set and talk. there is alot to do to your car and i can help u with couple of ideas
                      Coooool...i'm always open to some of ur great ideas :evil:

Well, if you're so die hard on the vert-turned-rogue, get a Z3 with a swap and Bob's your uncle!! How's that?!
                      :banghead: Ayham habebe....sometimes u really bust my brain!!...u r right!!...tracking a vert is not the smartest move at all when u have options...but this is my old car where i learned how to drive, i know each & every part of this car very well, the car is very reliable, selling it wont get me that big amount of $$$ (specially after the recent RTA rules :mad:), i'm buying a new expensive daily drive by beginning of next year :pimp:, i'm still studding& paying for my studies :mad: & i really love track racing :woot:....put every thing together and think about it...u'll find that keeping the car & tracking it is the smartest move :clap:

Now if u asked me again ti change my car...i'll hunt u ;)

Comment

Lol !!

I personnaly love the idea of having a Vert' racer in the Club. You got my full support on this one Weam !
                        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Man his car, Mashalla, is freaking competitive..... Last redline he was faster than me on the Auto-test by 0.75 of a second.....

But i killed him on the sprint :evil:

Great Respect to a great driver and an amazing Vert.....

hope we have more members with the same level of enthusiasm.
                          sigpic
                          iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                          Falcons Garage
                          Carbotech

Comment

Mashalla on Weam's vert ... yeah it's really competitive and as I recall that he faster was than Ayham ( the E36 yellow babe ) like 3~3.5 seconds...which is great ! :D
                            sigpic
                            07' HFP Accord | Current
                            HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Dont get me wrong guys, I have nothing against the vert competing, my point is have a planand buld a car around it....

my 0.02
                              Meskovic

Comment

Working...
                              X