Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most reliable BMW engine?

Would that be the M54 or N52?

name your favourite one. In terms of reliability though.

Personally I like the M54 better.
    - E82, 1M - Current
    • Akrapovic Exhaust • BMW Performance Seats • BMW Performance Steering Wheel
    - E30, 316 Touring - Current
    • BBS Rims • Eibach Lowering Springs • Some Engine Modifications
    - Nissan Xterra - Off Road - Current
    E36, 318 Touring Sold
    E36, M3 Evo Sold

Facebook Instagram SnapChat

Click HERE to get your BMW ///M Bracelets from BMW Club UAE

Comment

Reliability of an engine depends on how you use it and how you maintain it.

No engine is inherently unreliable. If it were so, they would not have manufactured it.
      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

I some how dont agree, some BMW engines are known with their issues, and some engines are known with their reliability.

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
        Reliability of an engine depends on how you use it and how you maintain it.

No engine is inherently unreliable. If it were so, they would not have manufactured it.
        - E82, 1M - Current
        E36, 318 Touring Sold
        E36, M3 Evo Sold

Comment

Give me a few good examples.

Originally posted by S.BAKI View Post
          I some how dont agree, some BMW engines are known with their issues, and some engines are known with their reliability.
          sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

interesting topic....lets all do a bit of research and post our findings here :)

from experience the M44B19 on my e36 318is was bulletproof, the M62B44 on the e39 540i wasnt reliable, always gave issues.
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

318 E36 is great I have it and thank god very happy from the reliability point of view.

I would say the S62 and the S63 are less reliable
              - E82, 1M - Current
              E36, 318 Touring Sold
              E36, M3 Evo Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                interesting topic....lets all do a bit of research and post our findings here :)

from experience the M44B19 on my e36 318is was bulletproof, the M62B44 on the e39 540i wasnt reliable, always gave issues.
                Wazif I would like to know what kind of issues you ever had with the engine
                I have owned 3 different cars with M62 engine, all three cars were E38
                tha cars lived long with me when driven for long i used to drive all the way from dubai through saudi jordan then syria
                i had the best experience ever with that engine and i would always recommend it for family specially the short base version for me looks more sporty
                i used to kick it hard and she always responded

as used cars it makes big difference from car to another based on how pampered or cared for
                we face similar issues in different cars due to very hot climate here in UAE

I agree with Sari point someway but i think same engine might be better experience on one car but very bad on another
                in my view The M62 on E38 is amazing but on E39 perhaps have made many problems to people i know
                sigpic
                E46FANATIC

Comment

I had an e28 M5 with 340k miles which is about 550K KM, then i put the engine in my e30 so that was pretty reliable.
                  Last edited by e21jason; 18-06-2015, 07:17 PM.

Comment

had head gasket issues, fuel pump issues (chaNGED it atleast 4 times), ignition coils, injectors.....besides these had the usual electrical issues. had to go through a lot before getting it up and running normally
                    Current
                    E92 M3 - Mineral White
                    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                    E36 318is
                    E39 540i ///M sport
                    VW CC
                    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Speaking from my very limited experience only.

M54. I've seen many and owned a couple that have exceeded 400k km and still held very good compression. The only thing that kills these motors is the notorious expansion tank failure

Moving to something a bit older the M42 from the E36 318i also an amazingly reliable little motor.

As far as the M cars go I reckon the S50B30 is a gem. With it's single vanos not giving much issue and no bearing issues it seemingly lasts forever.
                      Life is a journey. Enjoy the ride. Enjoy it in a BMW.

Comment

I would say a 4 cyclinder without forced induction and not high revving would be a contender. Somehow I don't relate reliability to BMW as I believe the Japanese have that accolade, I believe that after the 90s engines from manufacturers were not designed for longevity, and due to cheap finance and throw away culture engines were designed to last 150 kms on average.
                        '94 Avus Blue e36 m3
                        2007 LWB Prado. 2" IVD lift.GPS 276C.Bashplate.Rear Pintle Hook

Comment

M44 gets my vote, the one I had in a z3 was freaking bullet proof..
                          Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Comment

Working...
                          X