S65 Rod Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S65 Rod Bearing

So i wanted to share my rod bearings that i changed last week. The car had 101,000 km on it.

i was pretty surprised from the condition of the bearings, but again, the way i treat the car makes a ton of difference.

proper warming at start ups, driving moderately (preferably below 3k rpm) until the car oil reaches its required temps.

The S65 Rod bearing is one of the most controversial topics that bimmers that own the e9x m3s usually argue about, myth not myth, but ome thing for sure is that if you treat your car how it should be treated, doing your oil changes every 6 months max. And changing them as a preventive measure wont harm you.

what will harm you is a spun rod, and new motor for your car.

ENJOY YOUR BIMMER FOR AS LONG AS YOU OWN IT

some pictures for reference
    Attached Files

Originally posted by aelhamy View Post
    So i wanted to share my rod bearings that i changed last week. The car had 101,000 km on it.

i was pretty surprised from the condition of the bearings, but again, the way i treat the car makes a ton of difference.

proper warming at start ups, driving moderately (preferably below 3k rpm) until the car oil reaches its required temps.

The S65 Rod bearing is one of the most controversial topics that bimmers that own the e9x m3s usually argue about, myth not myth, but one thing for sure is that if you treat your car how it should be treated, doing your oil changes every 6 months max. And changing them as a preventive measure wont harm you.

what will harm you is a spun rod, and new motor for your car.

ENJOY YOUR BIMMER FOR AS LONG AS YOU OWN IT

some pictures for reference
    Thanks for this valuable info aelhamy. mine is on 70k kms now. Planning to do this once i reach 100k.

What's the average cost of this job?

Which brand of bearings did you go with?

Any thing else that was changed during this job?
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post

Thanks for this valuable info aelhamy. mine is on 70k kms now. Planning to do this once i reach 100k.

What's the average cost of this job?

Which brand of bearings did you go with?

Any thing else that was changed during this job?

It will cost around AED 4-5k

I used ACL bearings, and ARP bolts

Usually, the gasket is changed, along with the engine mounts, but as the condition of mine were fine, so they were not replaced. other than that its the bearings and oil change.

Comment

Thanks aelhamy . Good idea to change the gasket and surrounding rubber parts while at it. I believe another oil change is due after 500-1000 kms just to check for any metal residue?
        Current
        E92 M3 - Mineral White
        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
        E36 318is
        E39 540i ///M sport
        VW CC
        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
        X