BMW M boss says M2, X3 M and X4 M in development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW M boss says M2, X3 M and X4 M in development

A BMW M2 is set to be launched as part of an expanded range of BMW M cars that could also include M versions of the X3 and X4, new BMW M boss Frank van Meel has revealed at the Detroit motor show.

Van Meel, who recently made the switch from Audi’s RS division to head up BMW’s M range, said the previous 1-series M Coupé is a car he is very fond of, and therefore is a car “he’d love to do something in the direction of again”.

Spy photographers now regularly catch M2 prototypes in testing, but van Meel stopped short of officially confirming the model for production. Van Meel was less enthusiastic about the idea of an M3 Touring or flagship M7 - his vision of the perfect embodiment of an M car is the current M3/M4 - but he was more open and optimistic on the chances of M versions of the X3 and X4 making production.

“There are more opportunities than at present,” he said, “but not on every BMW as it makes no sense.

“There might be a business opportunity with the X3/X4,” he added. “We’re continuing our success story with new versions of the X5 M and X6 M.”

However, van Meel did confirm that four-wheel drive would reach future BMW M cars, with the next-generation M5 and M6 being the most likely candidates. But he said the models would still be rear-biased, and the technology would be used to increase traction in order to avoid the understeer traits with which all-wheel-drive performance cars are associated.

“The philosophy will remain rear-wheel drive, even if there is all-wheel drive,” he said. “As we increase power and torque, then the M5 and M6 will have large outputs, so we’ll look at those solutions [all-wheel drive] with these cars in the future.”

Van Meel said the recently launched M Performance range would be expanded as a way to bridge the gap between existing range-topping BMWs and full-blown M cars. More diesel models are set for this range, but van Meel said there wouldn’t be an M Performance version of every BMW as some models were not suited to performance versions.

Manual transmissions will only continue to be made should there be market demand for them, van Meel revealed, with sales suggesting they were on their way out.

Van Meel poured cold water on the chances of any future M version of a BMW i car, saying instead that any collaboration between the two bookends of the BMW range would be through shared technology such as carbonfibre.

However, M division was investigating the possibility of electrification of its future range. “We’re looking at all kinds of technologies, including electric solutions, but this must sit under clear M properties," said van Meel.

Electric turbochargers were being investigated, he said, as a way of improving throttle response. “We’ve already taken steps to improve throttle response with our V8,” said van Meel, “but we can improve further still with electric turbos. The philosophy has to be right to fit in with M, but yes, this is technology we’re looking at if we can make it fit.”

He was less keen on the idea of a front-wheel-drive M car based on BMW’s new UKL1 platform, although an M Performance version of a model in this range would be possible “if we can make it sharp enough”.

Four-cylinder engines for M cars were something else he isn’t keen on, saying the dynamics of such an engine were not in keeping with M’s philosophy as they’d be too highly stressed and not refined enough. But combining them with electric power would change this, although “you wouldn’t be able to lap the Nürburgring” without depleting the range.

“They are not part of the short term for M,” he added.

BMW celebrates its centenary in 2016, and van Meel said M was “eager to support the event”, without going into specifics.
    Last edited by Wazif; 14-01-2015, 05:23 PM.
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

*facepalm*
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

but why? the M2 should be good....and an AWD version of ///M would be a great addition to the lineup
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Here is another interview with new BMW M head, Fraciscus van Meel, by CAR, which provides us some more insight into the new M CEO's philosophies and outlook on the M brand.

On whether there is a possibility of a BMW i8 M model:

‘I can see a marrying of BMW’s M and i brands, but I can’t see an i8M just now. There is a very close collaboration between M and i – we have an open-book policy, and each brand can look into the other’s magic box of technologies and ideas. The i team used that making the i3 and i8, looking at the carbonfibre technologies M cars have used for the past ten years. They took that as a basis and enhanced that, and that’s something we’re looking at now to see if that carbonfibre technology can help us with the next generation of M cars. Also, we’re looking at the vehicle dynamic control systems, which are very interesting on the i8. We are not trying to make an i8M though – that would be a mixing of cultures that wouldn’t work. We want to retain our positions without ignoring the good ideas each one has.’

Asked again about all-wheel-drive, he responded:

‘Whatever technology we’re talking about, the properties of an M car must remain rear-wheel drive; very agile, very precise. And I don’t like the phrase ‘four-wheel drive’. Emotionally it sounds stoic, neutral and understeery. If we are talking about M I think we’re talking about rear-wheel drive with added traction. We are looking into those things because power and torque will only increase, and we will run into the necessity of these kind of systems.’

And what about hybrid M models?

‘Again, it has to enhance the properties we have right now without making anything worse. I wouldn’t exclude it but we haven’t found the right system yet to fulfill all these requirements and stay with the philosophy of M. The power-to-weight ratio is the problem – of course you can simply add more power, but that isn’t the smart way. The car may be fast but it will still be heavy, and that is not M.’

Does he consider some models more "M" than others?

‘It is not possible to make all M cars sporty and dynamic; if we did we would miss out on some customers because in different segments there are different needs. If we were to build a hardcore M5 race machine costing over 100,000 euros we would get the hardcore racers but we would miss all the people looking for a car that combines sportiness with luxury. The M6 has both, and what I like to see is that the motorsport team, which is working on the GT3 car [BMW’s replacement for the Z4 GT car, due on track in 2015], is that they can use the sporty genetics of the M6 and leave out the comfort parts, and by doing that they can easily achieve a very, very good racing car. It’s good to see that the essential balance of the car and the drivetrain is being used in a race car, and of course we look at what they’re doing regarding aerodynamics and so on, to see if there’s anything we can transfer back to the series production cars.’
        Current
        E92 M3 - Mineral White
        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
        E36 318is
        E39 540i ///M sport
        VW CC
        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
        X