BMW M3 vs. Audi RS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW M3 vs. Audi RS4

Coca-Cola vs. Pepsi. The Hatfields vs. McCoys. M3 vs. RS4. These are the classic rivalries, and in the case of the BMW vs. Audi, I don't think it will ever go away.

For good reason, as we know its not just a matter of brand pride but these cars seem to more evenly matched up then ever.Luckily the folks over at CarThrottle have gotten their hands on both cars and done a thorough comparison.

Read the full review here RWD BMW M3 Vs AWD Audi RS4: Which Will Win Our Battle Of The Titans?

Conclusion

With our time with the M3 running out, I went for one final drive. I’d finally found a driver setting combination I could get on with: steering, suspension and engine in Sport Plus, gearbox set to medium ferocity and the electronic aids set to the less intrusive MDM mode. With those electronic aids not aggressively cutting in anymore, I was able to get into a much better flow. Maybe I could get on with this car after all.

It was a thrilling experience: I could feel my heart pounding away in my chest, my palms were starting to get a little sweaty, and my wide eyes were scanning the road ahead to assess the next corner. But, it was all just a bit too serious, as seems to be the case for most spirited outings in the M3. Yes, it’s exciting, but I’m not sure for the right reasons: the thrills are more of a ‘am I going to get home without ploughing into a hedge’ variety than anything else. This was reinforced by another snap of the back-end near the end of the drive, when I really wasn’t expecting it.

I found myself loving the car despite its flaws, but it feels wrong for a BMW M car to have so many blemishes. You expect a precision tool, but the M3 is more like a ruddy great hammer. With its heavy steering, unruly back-end and savage power delivery, it’s almost like the BMW is over-compensating for the drop in cylinder count. It’ll be great on track, but out in the real world with bad weather and bumpy, broken-up roads, it’s less convincing.

More than anything, I wanted the M3 to feel like its M Performance little brother - the M235i - and then some. But it just doesn’t. Actually - ignoring the fact that it’s a lot less practical - the considerably less expensive, non-M Division 235i coupe is a more compelling package that’s considerably more engaging to drive.

So while my colleague may be a convert, I’m not. I found the RS4 far more fun to drive, and you have that reassurance that you can boot the hell out of it come rain or shine. It feels on your side, rather than the M3, which is an unruly beast that’ll bite back if you’re not careful.

Perhaps the RS4 is a bit too safe and a bit too easy, but it’s anything but boring - hurl yourself out of a few corners and redline that amazingly revvy V8 a few times, and you’ll have all the proof you need.

Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White
Working...
X