2017 G30 5 Series Sedan Spied!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 G30 5 Series Sedan Spied!

The G30 sedan spied here is the 530eDrive hybrid plug-in model, which reflects BMW's plans to offer a hybrid version of each of its core models. We can expect the hybrid powerplant to be similar to the 3 Series hybrid plug-in discussed by BMW last week. That means a battery between the trunk and passenger cabin which propels an electric motor contained within the CVT transmission casing. It will cover up to 20 miles on solely electric power.

As we're still in the early stages of testing, the camouflage remains heavy and obscures most details on the G30, but its overall shape certainly reminds us of the upcoming G11 7 Series. And like the G11's hood, the G30 sports a revised cutline which no longer awkwardly cuts across the hood. Under the dummy camouflage lights are L-shaped tail lights and L-shaped headlights.

Super Platform

The next 7 Series will spearhead the first extensive use of Carbon Fiber in platform construction. The platform is called 35up (or CLAR) and will be shared among all model from the 3 Series and up - including the G30 5 Series.

A recent rumor pegged the next generation 6 Series on the 35up / CLAR platform to lose up to several hundred pounds, so our hopes are high for the G30's weight loss figures.

Insider Scott26 shares more details, saying that the G30 series will accomplish weight reduction using pressed steel, aluminum, magnesium and a carbon fiber load bearing section of the chassis resulting in weight reduction of 100KG (220 lbs).

Gas / Diesel Models

According to our future models index, the US will receive 530i, 540i, 550i and 540d models. xDrive will be available on all models, with the 540d and 550i models possibly xDrive only in the U.S., subject to change. Expect the G30 to be powered by the same next generation engines to appear in the 3 Series (LCI) and G11 7 Series -- everything from a 3-cylinder to the B48 4-cylinder, B58 6-cylinder, and N63 8-cylinder.

Technology

Some of the fancy tech in the next 7 Series will also flow down to the G30, including touchscreen iDrive, laser headlight option, and a rumored separate passenger monitor. Other 7 Series options which may or may not appear in the 5 Series are: automatic parking with remote control, new "active comfort drive" assist, gesture control, wireless charging for phones

The G30's reveal comes in 2016.

Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White
Working...
X