Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next Generation BMW M5 to Get Twin Turbo V8 from X6

(old pic)
    With the launch of the next generation F10 BMW 5-Series arriving in 2010, the high-performance M5 version is to follow a year later. However, the M5 will lose its Formula One inspired naturally aspirated V10 engine, according to Automotive News.

Despite the low volume 2002 Turbo of 1973 and E23 745i of the mid 1980's, BMW engineers have historically turned away from forced induction in favor of high revving naturally aspirated engines - from a performance point of view. However, with turbo technology advancements over the past decade, turbo charging has turned into a viable alternative to high displacement engines with comparable performance characteristics.

The first evidence of the changing BMW mindset was in 2006 with the award winning N24 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline 6 cylinder engine found in the BMW 335i E92 Coupe. Since them, this engine has found its way into the entire BMW model range.

Therefore, it's no surprise, BMW's newest turbo engine, the 4.4-liter V8 found in the X6 SUV, will be optimized for more power and put into the new M5 model due in 2011. According to an insiders, the new M5 will produce, "400 kW (536hp) and more of output.
    Currently, Audi holds the horsepower title amongst German auto makers with their 580hp twin turbo V10 Audi RS6."

I've read of an interview with one of the top guys at BMW (don't remember if he was from the M division) that they want to drop the weight of the M cars by going with small engines (less cylinders) and using FI (turbos) to compensate for the power... BMW shouldn't be concerned about the HP output it should be more worried about weight and better handling (like Porsche), forget MB and Audi... just look at the E92 M3 not as powerful as MB C63 and same power as Audi RS4 but is 5 seconds quicker around a track
    ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

So the M5 V10 Engine is going back to turbo charged 4.4L V8 Engine ??
    sigpic
    07' HFP Accord | Current
    HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

i think the FI would stay for the non-M cars..

but if M Division decides to move into FI starting from the next generation M5, i really doubt they'll use the same 4.4 V8 TT as in the X6! i don't think BMW would use the same engine to produce 400bhp in one car & 536bhp in the other!

it makes more sense to use this 400bhp engine in the 555i :dunno:

BMW history:
      07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
        i think the FI would stay for the non-M cars..

but if M Division decides to move into FI starting from the next generation M5, i really doubt they'll use the same 4.4 V8 TT as in the X6! i don't think BMW would use the same engine to produce 400bhp in one car & 536bhp in the other!

it makes more sense to use this 400bhp engine in the 555i :dunno:
        ^^ +1
        sigpic
        07' HFP Accord | Current
        HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

As far as i know, Bmw dunnn use the same engines for M and none M cars, the new m5 might be turbocharged yeah.. but not with the 4.4 engine blv me !! y not the same v10 engine TT...Imagine!!, relatin to ur words the new m5 will deliver around 536 hp which is 29 hp more than the e60, and comparin it to the e92 the 335i delivers around the same amount of hp (29-30) over the 330i..!!:bow:

2008 E92 335i Space Grey / Coral Red
          Mods: Front Aero Lip | Hartge Rear Spoiler | JB+ Performance Chip | AA bov | AA full exhaust system | Air Scoops

www.moenajati.com

Comment

I personnaly hate this idea, Naturally Aspirtaed FTMFW !!!

Why ditch high-revving racing engines for weak turbo charged whistling washing machines ?

N/A has been the essence of BMW-M for decades. The rev limiter just gets higher and higher ! That's the fun of it, not just a fart between every shift ? *No offence F/I guys, but MPower is MPower !*

I really dislike this theory and hope it wont be executed in ///M cars.

Non ///M cars, sure. The 335i is a great performer, and F/I is the new millenium for more efficient engines for everyday use. But, I'm sorry it's just not for MotorSport !
            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

so y dunn they use the both on the new M5..:D:D N\A and FI !

2008 E92 335i Space Grey / Coral Red
              Mods: Front Aero Lip | Hartge Rear Spoiler | JB+ Performance Chip | AA bov | AA full exhaust system | Air Scoops

www.moenajati.com

Comment

Working...
              X